Please disable your adblocker on this website!
The website costs are covered by using ads that are non-intrusive. Please whitelist this domain in your adblocker software or plugin. Thank you.

Schakel alstublieft de adblocker uit!
De kosten van het hosten van de website worden betaald met advertentie-inkomsten. Voeg alstublieft een uitzondering toe voor dit domein in de software of plugin.

Camino problems

Talk in english about Honda Camino PA50 Hobbit mopeds

Moderator: -Camino Crew-

stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Camino problems

Post by stray »

Hello fellow Camino/Hobbit owners. (sorry if the English isn't up yo date)

I'm a 28 year old danish military veteran who has the pleasure of having an old Honda Camino (PA50) "not sure about the age". Every year me and a old army buddy and a wood working guy take an road trip on our mopeds, driving around in Denmark for 5-7 days, living by fishing and sleeping in shelters in the danish nature. (they have Ciaos)

Last trip my old Camino broke down on me, we had to tie a rope to my buddy's ciao and then i held the rope in my hand so they could pull me home with some decent speed, I'm grateful that it was on our last day and only had around 3 hours left till we would be home.

So here's is my question and what i know. (this is after it broke down, before that almost everything worked fine)
It could start, it would run for itself with really low speed (like the motor is giving a little power to the transmission so the back wheel is running slow), and if i gave it any gas/throttle it would almost stop. (don't know how else to explain it right now). That was how it acted when it happened.

When we arrived at the house with the moped (the motor was running) it suddenly made like a big bang kind of noise and then it died (was driving like 1km without any gas/throttle but with motor running). I haven't touched it since, so it has been parked in the garage for ½ a year, because i wouldn't try to start it again without any kind of knowledge of what could be wrong. My friend said that it maybe could be the switch / contact / point set (don't know the English term for it) but its these;"http://www.mopedspeed.dk/produkter/tend ... camino.htm". We tested the carburetor when it broke down and there was fuel flow, at least there were before the big bang came, didn't test after that.

'
Oh and just a quick one, it also sometimes had problems running with the filter on (the one you can put in near the pedals), brand new and not to soaked. How can that be ? And what exactly does that filter protect ?

Feel free to ask anything and ill try to answer with what i know :)
GoBieN
-= Beheerder =-
-= Beheerder =-

Re: Camino problems

Post by GoBieN »

Hello Stray,

I'm no expert but your text got me thinking.
I think you experienced something we call a "warmloper" where the cylinder/piston has overheated or a "segment" or "circlipse" on the piston has come loose.
The big bang would then be the "vastloper" at which point the piston crashes inside the cylinder and usually gets stuck.

You can easily check this by opening the cylinder head (spark cable, decompression cable and 4 bolts to loose) and check the piston and cylinder for signs of damage. This will be evident, you will see big scratches inside the cylinder or on the piston.

If that is the case you will have to replace the cylinder and piston or drill it to a bigger diameter with an equivalent piston.

Photos:
20130604220455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Hello GoBieN

Thanks for the reply!
I will check the cylinder/piston next time I'm visiting my friend. (the moped is parked there)
Though before we went on last year trip, we changed the cylinder and piston because there wasn't any compression on the old one (original cylinder+piston or at least very old!) We drove around for some weeks before the trip with slow speed so it wouldn't get stock/overheat. So i don't hope i need to buy a new one again. As the Camino parts aren't cheap in Denmark :)
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

hello

check also the spark plug
change it sometimes it goes just broken
the air filter is needed rhat there goes not dirt in the carbuartor
and it is needed to be clean how more air the motor gets how bigger the jet main is needed
and maintanace is verry needed
most people forget to clean the filter whith carburator troubles that follow

if your cilinder is overheated you can check it like it is alleready is beeing told

maybe are the contactpoints at there last of broken ?
maybe is the ignitioncoil broken ?

but first i would just check the sparkplug :!:

also check the carburator groundly
if it runs better whith the choke at front you need to clean it again

the big bang is maybe a ignition bang ?

or is it like a metal sound ? and the motor slows down and goes slower till it stops ?
that is a overheated cilinder like is beeing told

but check it all out
and if we can help
ask
goodluck

grtz marc ;)
Last edited by camino_expert on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
honda camino forever
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Thanks camino_expert

I will surely remember what you have written. And go through it when I'm visiting my friend.

And thanks for the info on the filter. Maybe I should clean the carburetor while I'm there ;-)
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

hello stray

ok

good luck

and keep us informed

if we can help
no problem

grtz m ;)
honda camino forever
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

HI Again

Once again, thanks for replies.

I got the Camino home yesterday, so i tjecked the cylinder and piston, and both were just fine. Also made great compression. (Couldnt get it to start, but the weather is also cold and it propably need a gas and oil change after the long period of standing still, also didnt try much :P.)

Didn't tjecked the carburator as i was just laying on the frozen ground and was getting a bit cold so waiting a little to its getting hotter outside!

Though the next thing i will do when i get it home, and get the tools for it, is to change the contacts/platins.
I have cleaned the carburator before, so i will try that again when its not to cold :)

Ill update later when i get some more info ;)
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Oh by the way.
I'm not sure if its a PA50I or PA50II.

But is it possible to make it run with lower RPMs ? Like with an Ciao you can just change the pulley, is it possible with an Camino ?
Maybe by installing this pulley instead of the normal one ? http://www.camino-parts.nl/a-25531147/a ... lie-oe-96/

Im having this one installed now: http://www.camino-parts.nl/a-22111567/a ... nt-poelie/

It runs at around 40-45km/h not sure if thats normal for that type, but i changed the exhaust to a newer one (the old one looked like it had been on a shooting range "rust had teared through") and there is 6 holes in the cylinder for the gas and oil.
GoBieN
-= Beheerder =-
-= Beheerder =-

Post by GoBieN »

With Camino you have 2 types of transmissions.
There is the mono transmission system that has just 1 gear. That is the pulley you 1st linked to on camino-parts.nl.
There is a different crankshaft and a different rear pulley on the wheel for this type of transmission. Not just plug and play. Mono system tend to go high in RPM when reaching top speed.

You have the variomatic transmission which has variabele pulleys front and rear that dynamically change the transmission. This is the preferred type of transmission for most of the Camino drivers. Your 2nd link is a photo for a rear variomatic pulley. In the front pulley you can adjust the weights inside to change the RPM at which the pulley changes. By playing with the weights you can tune it to your needs and control the RPM.

Exhaust type also has a big influence on the RPM. What exhaust do you have? Check the Gallery to find out if you're not sure:
http://www.hondacaminotuning.be/forum/app.php/gallery
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Thanks for reply gobien.
And thank you for the transmission details.

I think I have a standard exhaust or at least one that looks like it. I have this one. http://www.mopedspeed.dk/produkter/udst ... camino.htm.

I have tried looking for some weights though I haven't found any here in denmark but there is some here http://www.camino-parts.nl/c-246563/voorpoelie-s/. Is that the ones? BTW I have the plate which holds 3 weights.
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

hello
if you have a variomatic
it is not that you have to change only the rollerweights in the front face comp drive

the movable drive there are 2 kinds
one with 3 weights 1976- till 1985

one with 6 weights 1985-till the last camino made

most important is the plate ramp 2 different kinds for the 3 weight vario
the flat one is for the camino's that run org 25 kmph
with a 65 cilinder much of rpm

the bend one is org for the camino's that run 40 a 45 kmph
it is much better for a 65 cc cilinder much less of rpm and faster he goes

if you have the flat plate ramp the best is you change it

and the weights are they very light the motor makes more rpm
you have to test with a few kind of rollerweights
for the vario with the 3 weights are there a lote of kinds of weight original

for the one with 3 weights are there org 2 kinds

but the most important is the plate ramp

the driven pulley behind also a few differnt models through the years
i depends what you want to prefer that the motor runs

the first photo
the flat plulley
as you have said
it looks like the ones of piaggio ciao

also at front 2 kinds
at rear org also 2 kinds
models that are gooing 25 of 40kmph

but there are alu rear poulies available in the old days
and sometimes now old stocks of occasions
that helps the speed goes faster
the pulling is less but the rpm is also les

how les the rpm on the cilinder
how langer he works
it is much better for not to have a overheated motor and cilinder

good luck
;)
honda camino forever
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

stray wrote:Thanks for reply gobien.
And thank you for the transmission details.

I think I have a standard exhaust or at least one that looks like it. I have this one. http://www.mopedspeed.dk/produkter/udst ... camino.htm.

I have tried looking for some weights though I haven't found any here in denmark but there is some here http://www.camino-parts.nl/c-246563/voorpoelie-s/. Is that the ones? BTW I have the plate which holds 3 weights.

hello the first link
the exhaulst it is a replika kl b for the camino's that run org 40 a 45 kmph
it looks like the org ones

here in belgium are other ones also available
with a nek of 22 mm much faster

also a new of occasion proma technigas is available

the second link

yes i you have 3 weigts that are the ones but expensive pff

and for the 6 weights are also on the link

the ramp plates are very expensive pfff

last prices new honda belgium ware 18 euro a piece

most is sold out

i have a lot occasion plate ramps 3 and also for the 6 weight

you have to look with kind you have , the ramp plate i mean
they are 2 kinds
on the photo that is the one for the camino that org goes 40 kmph

if you want somthing on that photo
here in belgium
we kan help you also if you want
not always new but in very good condition

succes
grtz m ;)
honda camino forever
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Thanks for reply. Just want you to know I read your posts, but I'm having a lot to do with pregnant wife so I'll tjeck with my moped on a later date but hopefully soon :-)
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

stray wrote:Thanks for reply. Just want you to know I read your posts, but I'm having a lot to do with pregnant wife so I'll tjeck with my moped on a later date but hopefully soon :-)
ok stray
ha congratiulations
that is more important than the mopeds

i wish you a nice pregnancy

the moped is just a hobby
time enough for it
take your time
we will read it here

grtz m ;)
honda camino forever
stray
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by stray »

Thanks ☺
So I just got time to change contact thingy and set it to 0.30mm and now there's a really good spark and I also got it to made better compression and sounded like it was somewhat close to start but still not quite yet. Next thing must be the carburetor cleaning to see if there's any junk inside ☺

Oh and a little annoying thing is that as I was pedaling like a firestorm was comming, one of the pedals broke off so now I need to change one of those :-(