Please disable your adblocker on this website!
The website costs are covered by using ads that are non-intrusive. Please whitelist this domain in your adblocker software or plugin. Thank you.

Schakel alstublieft de adblocker uit!
De kosten van het hosten van de website worden betaald met advertentie-inkomsten. Voeg alstublieft een uitzondering toe voor dit domein in de software of plugin.

Newbie with problems.

Talk in english about Honda Camino PA50 Hobbit mopeds

Moderator: -Camino Crew-

joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Newbie with problems.

Post by joeschmo »

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend bought a 1989 Honda Camino PA50VC. She was very excited by it all. When we bought it (off ebay) we went to see it and it seemed to have been looked after enough and we saw it running (and I even took it for a test ride).

It had to be started with a drill as the starter clutch had gone, so I parked it up and sent off for a new set of starter clutches (which took their time as they came from america)

I'm quite handy (I have my own scooter and run two classic cars) and very proudly fitted the starter clutches. i then went to try to get it to start...

I cannot start it, the starter clutches are turning the engine over but it will not fire however much I peddle (it is howevr very good excercise). So I got my cordless drill out and tried to start it with that. It would not start.

I have checked the plug - there is a good spark.
I have by passed the fuel filter - still nothing (however I have bought a new fuel filter just in case)
I have checked that there is fuel getting all the way to the carb.
I have charged the battery.

It started once (for a moment) with the aid of easy start (that was a great moment)

So I think that all leads to the carb being blocked and I am going to take it out this weekend and give it a good clean. However does any one else out there have any other ideas? There isn't really much that can go wrong with this little motor.

Please help as my girlfriend is quickly losing interest in the little scoot.

Also, I have seen these on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180686098708? ... 97.c0.m619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and as my girlfriend isn't mechanically knowledgeable, I would like the bike to be as reliable as possible and am thinking just to bite the bullet and buy a new carb as they are so cheap and should make the bike more reliable.

I really like the Camino, I think it is so cute in it's smallness and simplicity. |I just wish it would work!
Tinus
-= Expert Member =-
-= Expert Member =-

Re: Newbie with problems.

Post by Tinus »

remove the 3 screws on the carb. ( throtle screw, air screw and the little silver screw)
and blow with an airgun (aircompressor) into the holes.
and try again.

sorry for the bad englisch :d

if you still have trouble you can use this link: http://www.camino-tuning.be/howto-manua ... 22610.html
2-stroke
Sander
-= Ex moderator =-
-= Ex moderator =-

Post by Sander »

joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

Ok, So I have stripped down and cleaned the carb and got it to start (after some peddling) and even went for a victory spin round the block. I then got very excited and went for a trip to Tescos.

Some things I noticed on the trip to Tescos (other supermarkets are available):

The little Camino seems to run out of steam at about 27mph. (is this right?)
When pulling off from the lights the scooter seemed to bog down and struggle a little.
The rear wheel turns on its own. (this I am sure is wrong)

What I noticed on the way back home:

I couldn't get the little Camino to start.
It doesn't make a good bicycle
Pushing the scooter home is good exercise.

This leads me to some conclusions (but please correct me if I am wrong)

The idle speed is running too fast.
The spark plug is getting soaked (why it didn't start and is sluggish at lights)
Therefore the mixture is probably wrong

The scooter didn't seem to start outside the supermarket (with lots of people looking on -embarrassing) as the plug got soaked (possibly due to wrong mixture or because of the amount of peddling) It didn't seem to be building up enough compression.I have noticed that there seems to be what looks like two head gaskets in place.This would lower the compression, wouldn't it? Unless the normal head gasket looks like two head gaskets.

If anyone can advise I would be most grateful as I want to get this scooter as reliable as possible.

On normal good working order, how much peddling would it normally take to start. (my girlfriend is a slight 5'3)
I have used google translate to translate this into dutch. Please feel free to answer in dutch/flemish and I'll use google translate to get it into a language i understand.

Ok, dus heb ik gestript en schoongemaakt de carburateur en kreeg die om te beginnen (na wat ten gunste van derden) en ging zelfs voor een overwinning draai rond het blok. Ik kreeg vervolgens erg enthousiast en ging voor een reis naar Tescos.

Sommige dingen die ik zag op de reis naar Tescos (andere supermarkten beschikbaar zijn):

De kleine Camino lijkt opraken van stoom op ongeveer 27 mph. (is dit recht?)
Bij het lostrekken van de verlichting van de scooter leek vast te lopen en een beetje moeilijk hebben.
Het achterwiel draait op zijn eigen. (dit heb ik ben er zeker van is fout)

Wat ik zag op de weg terug naar huis:

Ik kon niet de kleine Camino om te beginnen.
Het maakt geen goede fiets
Een druk op de scooter naar huis is een goede oefening.

Dit brengt mij tot een aantal conclusies (maar corrigeer me als ik verkeerd ben)

Het stationair toerental loopt te snel.
De bougie wordt steeds doorweekt (waarom het niet starten en is traag bij de verkeerslichten)
Daarom is het mengsel is waarschijnlijk minder

De scooter leek niet om te beginnen buiten de supermarkt (met veel mensen op zoek op het gênant) als de stekker raakte doorweekt (mogelijk als gevolg van verkeerd mengsel of vanwege de hoeveelheid van ten gunste van derden) Het leek niet te bouwen genoeg compression.I hebben gemerkt dat er sprake lijkt te zijn wat lijkt op twee koppakkingen in place.This zou de compressie te verlagen, zou het niet? Tenzij de normale koppakking lijkt op twee koppakkingen.

Als iemand kan adviseren zou ik het meest dankbaar zijn als ik wil deze scooter te krijgen zo betrouwbaar mogelijk te maken.

Op normale goed functioneert, zou hoeveel peddelen normaal om te beginnen. (mijn vriendin is een lichte 5'3)
Ik heb Google Translate om dit te vertalen naar het Nederlands. Voel je vrij om te antwoorden in het Nederlands / Vlaamse en maak ik gebruik van Google Translate om het te krijgen in een taal die ik begrijp.
joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

Okay. I've had another look. I tried to start it unsuccessfully for 10 mins and then pulled the spark plug out. It was dry as a bone. Therefore = fuel problem.

Oke. Ik heb nog eens. Ik probeerde tevergeefs te beginnen het voor 10 minuten en daarna trok de bougie uit. Het was kurkdroog. Daarom = brandstof probleem.
killingsnake
-= Camino Addict =-
-= Camino Addict =-

Post by killingsnake »

unfortunately, try cleaning the carb again. Camino, such as all hondas where manufactured with a high quality standard, but over the years the carbs have become pretty weak and they are easily clogged..
Trasforma il meglio in 'massimo'
Tinus
-= Expert Member =-
-= Expert Member =-

Post by Tinus »

and use a fuelfilter in between the gastank and carb next time.
2-stroke
joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

I wouldn't run anything (currently two classic cars and two scooters) without a fuel filter.

Anyway I got fed up with the Camino and replaced the whole fuel system from the fuel tap on. So new tap, new filter, new carb and now she runs!!!! :shock:

The little caminio still takes some peddeling to get her to start and as I said before it's for my girlfriend who is a slight 5'3". On a sorted bike how much peddling do you have to do before you let go of the decompression switch and it'll fire. I want it running perfectly for her.

Many thanks in advance.

Joe

Google translate says....

Ik zou alles (op dit moment twee klassieke auto's en twee scooters) niet worden uitgevoerd zonder een brandstoffilter.

Maar goed, ik kreeg genoeg van de Camino en vervangen door het hele brandstof systeem van de benzinekraan op. Dus nieuwe kraan, nieuw filter, nieuwe carb en nu loopt ze!! : shock:

De kleine caminio duurt nog een aantal peddeling om haar te beginnen en zoals ik al zei het is voor mijn vriendin die een lichte 5'3 ". Op een gesorteerde fiets hoeveel peddelen moet je doen voordat je laten gaan van de decompressie-schakelaar en het zal schieten. ik wil dat het perfect loopt voor haar.

Bij voorbaat hartelijk dank.

Joe
killingsnake
-= Camino Addict =-
-= Camino Addict =-

Post by killingsnake »

A good camino should start with only 1 push on the pedals, or if you would start it on foot, you actually don't have to take 1 step to start it. You should be able to start it by holding the bike behind you and pushing it forward, all this without taking 1 step.

Now, if you're positive the carb is clean and the fuel line components are clear (by replacing them as you did), you can check the other things that are necessary for a good engine: compression and ignition. If the camino has a good compression, try inspecting/adjusting/replacing the contact breaker points.

Set the piston to the top position (you can find a mark T on the flywheel and a mark on the crankcase) and adjust the breaker points to a setting of 0,30/0,35/0,40mm. I hope that you have a feeler gauge with metric blades? It's not a problem if you don't, but try to remain as close as you can to these values..
Trasforma il meglio in 'massimo'
joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

Thanks Killingsnake.

I will try that tonight. If I have no luck with ignition set up, how do I check the compression? I guess I get a compression tester but what reading am I looking for.

I have been concerned about the compression as looking closely at the little Camino looks like it has two head gaskets fitted.

Thanks again, Joe.
joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

Ah found it (I found the manuals on this rather excellent site) so compression should be 8-12 kg cm2. Well I'll check the points first as I don't have a compression tester.
joeschmo
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by joeschmo »

Okay, I have adjusted the points and am getting a nice fat spark, but now it wont start at all. I pulled the plug thinking that it would be soaking with petrol, but it's dry again...

How can that be? I've replaced EVERYTHING on the petrol side.

I'm going to get a compression tester and check that out. If I have no luck with that. I'm going to give up!