Please disable your adblocker on this website!
The website costs are covered by using ads that are non-intrusive. Please whitelist this domain in your adblocker software or plugin. Thank you.

Schakel alstublieft de adblocker uit!
De kosten van het hosten van de website worden betaald met advertentie-inkomsten. Voeg alstublieft een uitzondering toe voor dit domein in de software of plugin.

new camino owner

Talk in english about Honda Camino PA50 Hobbit mopeds

Moderator: -Camino Crew-

scottyrice
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Re: new camino owner

Post by scottyrice »

I should contribute something more helpful to this thread as I've converted one of my 1982 Honda Hobbits to 12v.

The first step is replacing the factory/OEM stator with a 12v version. I started with a generic aftermarket stator and ended up replacing that with an HPI Mini Rotor found here: https://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=210K094
Please note that you can special request HPI to send a stator with two (2) yellow power leads. This is important because it provides full wave power (twice as much as the single lead) shown in the product photo. I then connected the two yellow leads from the HPI to the two yellow wires of this Trailtech regulator/rectifier (https://www.trailtech.net/7004-rr150), then connected black Trailtech wire to the Honda frame ground, and plugged the red Trailtech wire into the Honda wire harness where the OEM Honda white wire plugged in. Since that white wire leads to the OEM rectifier (not a regulator) I replaced the OEM rectifer with a solid wire just connecting the two plugs (The trailtech takes care of the rectification but the signal must continue to battery). It is important to use a combination regulator/rectifier because the HPI (AC) power must be converted (rectified) to DC for the battery, and you don't want it sending too many volts to the battery (during high revs) which the regulator will limit.

I replaced the OEM battery with a lightweight lithium ion motorcycle battery (http://a.co/50qRVPl) after dremeling out the battery case to make it fit. I also had to purchase vintage connectors so everything connected to the original bullet connectors, and I added a new 15A fuse. From that battery I can run other things like a volt meter/usb charger, Trailtech Vapor, and a water pump if I decide to get a water cooled kit.

After that I replaced all of the 6v bulbs with 12v LEDs and a 20 watt (low-ish power) LED motorcycle headlight bulb from ebay. Since the OEM bulb is powered directly from the AC OEM stator I disconnected that from the wire harness and plugged it directly in to the Honda ignition so the headlight would also be powered by the rectified (DC) side that's also supplying the turn signals/brake lights, etc.

I also replaced the OEM winker relay (for turn signals) with a 12v compatible (also works with 6v) here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... r/779/833/
I got all the other 12v replacement lights lights from that site as well (except the headlight).

I was able to get all the terminal connectors Honda used and the crimping tools needed from Vintage Connections and Cycle Terminal web sites. Please note my factory wiring was in extremely good condition and these directions are for a 1982 USA Honda PA50II, though I can't imagine the Camino wiring diagram is much different, if at all.
GoBieN
-= Beheerder =-
-= Beheerder =-

Post by GoBieN »

The wire colors are different for some versions I believe.
scottyrice
-= Newbie =-
-= Newbie =-

Post by scottyrice »

My directions apply to the attached wiring schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camino_expert
-= Moderator =-
-= Moderator =-

Post by camino_expert »

hello
the best for a pa50 on 12 V to place is take the parts from honda pX 12 v
so you can set it with electric starter
alot of work
but it can
afterpart parts
many made in china